Red Emergency Cords Essential Info
We would expect to see accessible toilets fitted with a means of raising the alarm to summon help when a disabled person requires assistance.
The following shows some of the essential requirements for emergency alarm systems in accessible toilets:
- Red emergency cords should be easily identifiable and usually red in colour
- Each cord has two red bangles attached to aid the person easily pulling the alarm cord
- One of the bangles should be reachable from the floor and close to the WC
- Visual and audible indicators should alert people that the alarm has been triggered
- A means of resetting the alarm should be within the accessible toilet and easily reachable
- The alarm signal to warn staff that someone needs help should be located in a suitable location and staff trained in how to respond.