Euan's Guide Home
    Back

    Starbank Park

    About

    Starbank House was built in 1815 and belonged originally to Alexander Goalen.  The boundaries of the original grounds were similar to those of the present-day Starbank Park.  Goalen was the uncle of William Ewart Gladstone, the great Victorian Prime Minister.  Walter Goalen,  the founder and rector of Christ Church near the north end of Trinity Road, appears to have inherited the house from his father (Alexander Goalen) and lived there until his death in 1889.  Leith Town Council bought the property in 1889 and opened the grounds of Starbank House as Starbank Park in 1891.  Starbank House was originally the home of the park keeper. It became a museum in 1920 on the demise of Leith Town Council and the contents were transferred to Huntly House Museum in the Canongate in 1932.  The house became the parkie’s house for many years before being converted into two flats that are currently lived in by retired Council staff. 

    Reviews

    4

    (1 review)

    Overall Ratings

    5

    0

    4

    1

    3

    0

    2

    0

    1

    0

    Access

    4

    Parking

    4

    Toilets

    -

    Staff

    -

    Contact

    Opens in a new window

    Location

    Newhaven Laverockbank Road, Edinburgh EH5 3DA, Scotland, Edinburgh, United Kingdom

    Browse nearby places

    No transport options nearby

    No venues nearby

    We couldn’t find any venues within a 50km radius listed on Euan’s Guide.

    clock icon

    Information not up to date?

    If you believe the information displayed on this page is not up to date or the venue has closed, please send us an email at hello@euansguide.com

    Review this place

    Sign up to our newsletter!

    Stay up to date with the latest news, announcements and articles.